What is The Best Sunscreen for Cyclists?
Like many athletes, cyclists spend a lot of time outdoors and in the sun. This means that if you’re an avid cyclist you’re particularly prone to sun damage, including sunburn, premature ageing, and even skin cancer.
As a cyclist, protecting yourself against the sun should be just as important as wearing your protective gear. So, what’s the best sunscreen for cyclists? One which won’t impede performance and yet tough enough to keep up with you? In this article, we’ll take a look at why sunscreen is so important, and how you can best protect yourself from the sun while out on your bike.
Sun Damage and Cycling
Being outdoors and subject to the potentially harmful UV rays of the sun goes hand-in-hand with cycling, whether you’re a professional athlete or just hitting the road for some exercise on the weekends. No matter what time of the year you’re out on your bike, sun protection should be a part of your pre-cycle routine – just like putting on your helmet and the rest of your gear.
Unfortunately, many cyclists avoid using sunscreen as they find that it interferes with their performance. From dripping into the eyes, to irritation caused by alcohol, oil, or fragrances, there are many sunscreens out there which just aren’t designed with the cyclist in mind.
“This 100 percent, mineral- based formula offers broad- spectrum protection, rubs in clear and isn’t full of stuff that’s bad for you or for nature. We also like that it smells great, thanks to natural peppermint and rosemary preservatives.”
~ Bicycling Fitness Awards 2021
How Can Cyclists be Sun Safe?
When it comes to sun protection for cyclists, there are several key factors to consider before heading out for a ride.
- Choose the time of day wisely: Avoid cycling when UV levels are at their highest, between 10am and 3pm. It’s also a good idea to check the UV levels before heading out.
- Use a high-performance, quality sunscreen designed with cyclists in mind and re-apply every 2 hours (or every 80 minutes when sweating).
- Cover up where you can: This includes wearing a hat under your helmet, as well as cycling gloves, arm protection, and sunglasses.
- Wear the right gear: Sure, wearing lycra might make you the butt of a few jokes from those not within the cycling community, but it’s worth its weight in gold as far as sun protection goes. The close-knit fibres of a good quality lycra cycling garment are excellent for protecting your skin against the sun’s rays.
- Get regular skin checks: Don’t forget to head to your GP or local skin cancer specialist for regular skin checks, as picking up on any potentially dangerous skin spots early is incredibly important.
The Best Sunscreen for Cyclists
The KINeSYS Performance Sunscreen range has been designed with performance in mind. Over 20 years ago, KINeSYS began developing sunscreens which provided not only a high level of sun protection for the whole family, but superior performance and comfort for athletes like cyclists, runners, skiers, surfers, and more.
What’s behind a high-performance sunscreen, you might wonder? The key is in the things we don’t put in and how they are applied.
Our spray sunscreens are designed to go on easily, absorb quickly, and leave no oily residue: making them perfect for cyclists, as they won’t drip into your eyes or irritate your skin. Our range of pump-action, aerosol-free sunscreens also come in handy sports-sized bottles, perfect for your saddle bag or jersey pocket. This means you’ll always have your sun protection with you, no matter where you ride.
Before you head out on your next ride, be sure to protect yourself from the sun with high-performance KINeSYS sunscreen.